Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia USA
and Baldwin Lima Hamilton
Baldwin and it’s later entity, Baldwin Lima Hamilton, built steam locomotives for a number of Australian State owned and privately owned railways including the New South Wales Government Railways, Queensland Railways, South Australian Railways and the narrow gauge Victorian Railways.
NSWGR, QR, SAR, VR
VR – narrow gauge
In 1898 Baldwin delivered two 2-6-2T locomotives for the new 2′ 6″ gauge lines that were being developed. These locos became the A class … and the class later became known as the NA class to avoid confusion with a class of broad gauge locos that had been given the A classification.
1A (b/n 15936 of 1898) and 2A (b/n 15937 of 1898) were quite similar to look at but 1A was a simple 2-cylinder engine while 2A was a Vauclain Compound engine.
Both locomotives entered service in September 1898 on the Wangaratta to Whitefield line and both were scrapped in 1929.
15 additional members of the A class were built between 1900 and 1916 but these were constructed in VR’s own workshops at Newport.
BHP, Qld Sugar Mills
In 1889 Baldwin built two broad gauge 2-6-0 tender locomotives (b/n 10067 of 1889 and 10075of 1889) the Arthur T Robb, the contractor to be used in the construction of Victoria Dock in Melbourne.
These two locomotives subsequently went to the McIvor Timber & Firewood Company P/L for use on their extensive network of lines that fed their firewood mills at McIvor Siding near Tooborac near Seymour in Victoria.
They were scrapped around 1923.
The photographs on this web page are by Weston Langford.
They are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.